United Cleaning Services is responsible for cleaning New Zealand’s first 6 Green Star building – the Geyser Building in Parnell, Auckland – a contract secured largely on the basis of the company’s demonstrable adherence to sustainable practices.
Sustainable is good. Keeping the Geyser Building spick and span is hard. When you consider that it is designed to maximise natural daylight, with reflective surfaces that create natural heating and cooling ventilation, and a rainwater harvesting function… it's easy to see why keeping it clean requires extra careful dedication and both a belief and a commitment to honouring the building's sustainable intentions.
United Cleaning Services is a member of the Sustainable Business Network, which works alongside the company to determine what we need to do to enhance both our and our clients' working environments. We are mindful of the effects of the high strength of cleaning products and the disposal of large amounts of rubbish.
We are constantly on the look-out for opportunities to improve our practices. When we first encountered client offices that had their own worm farm, we immediately installed our own to learn how to manage the process properly. We have since implemented a system whereby recycled organic waste from the five client worm farms managed by us is put back into the clients’ own gardens.
Andy Davison, FM Concepts
• ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard* Certified – United Cleaning Services is certified to this rigorous international environmental standard, which addresses all aspects of environmental management and is a means to identify and control the impact we make on the environment.
• A near chemical-free regime has been established by the company (except in instances of public safety where biohazards are prevalent). When chemicals are required, United Cleaning Services uses ‘Green Earth’ products which are eco-friendly and made in New Zealand.
• Environmentally friendly technology – United Cleaning Services has placed significant investment in environmentally friendly, cutting edge technology solutions such as microfiber cloths and mops, which achieve better results than harmful chemicals.
• Worm farms – United Cleaning Services maintains a number of worm farms, including one in the company’s corporate offices, for the recycling of organic waste. The resulting soil and fertiliser is put back into green spaces belonging to the relevant buildings.
• Recycling – United Cleaning Services stocks a quality range of recycled toilet paper and hand towels.